John Mellencamp – The Best That I Could Do (1978-1988) - New 2LP 2019 Record Compilation Reissue Limited Edition Gold Vinyl - Rock & Roll
STREET DATE: 6/7/19
The Best That I Could Do 1978–1988 is the first greatest hits compilation album by John Mellencamp, released in 1997. It compiles Mellencamp's most popular material recorded during his first decade, beginning with 1978's A Biography, up through 1987's The Lonesome Jubilee, with a new recording of Terry Reid's "Without Expression". Mellencamp picked the songs for the album and also came up with the title. The album reached #33 on the Billboard 200. Pressed on limited 2LP Gold vinyl!
|A1||I Need A Lover
Bass – Robert FrankDrums – Tom KnowlesKeyboards – Brian Bekvar*Producer, Engineer – John Punter
|A2||Ain't Even Done With The Night
Bass – Robert FrankDrums – Rick ShlosserEngineer – Bruce Robb, Dee RobbKeyboards – Eric RosserProducer – Steve CropperVibraphone [Vibes] – Kenny Aronoff
|A3||Hurts So Good
Backing Vocals – Dave ParmanBass – Chocolate Perry*Engineer – George TutkoWritten-By [With John Mellencamp] – George Green (4)
|A4||Jack And Diane
Backing Vocals – John Mellencamp*, Mick Ronson, Robert FrankBass – Robert FrankGuitar – Mick RonsonKeyboards – Eric Rosser
Backing Vocals – Carroll Sue HillKeyboards – Carroll Sue HillWritten-By [With John Mellencamp] – George Green (4)
Backing Vocals – Carroll Sue Hill, John Mellencamp*, Kenny AronoffBass – Willie WeeksEngineer – David ThoenerKeyboards – Jay Ferguson
|C1||Lonely Ol' Night||3:45|
Backing Vocals – John Cascella, Kenny AronoffHarmonica – Larry Crane
|C3||R.O.C.K. In The U.S.A.
Backing Vocals – Sarah FlintRecorder [Flutophone] – Larry Crane
|D1||Paper In Fire||3:51|
|D3||Check It Out
Dulcimer [Hammer Dulcimer] – Kenny Aronoff
Backing Vocals – Andy York, Moe Z*Drums – Dane ClarkEngineer – Paul MahernGuitar – Andy YorkKeyboards – Moe Z*Producer – Mike WanchicViolin – Miriam SturmWritten-By – Terry Reid
- Licensed To – UMG Recordings, Inc.
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – John Mellencamp
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Riva Records, Inc.
- Copyright (c) – John Mellencamp
- Distributed By – Universal Music Enterprises
- Published By – Full Keel Music
- Published By – Riva Music, Inc.
- Published By – John Mellencamp
- Recorded At – Air Studios
- Recorded At – Cherokee Studios
- Recorded At – Criteria Recording Studios
- Recorded At – TRC Studios
- Recorded At – The Shack, Jackson County, Indiana
- Recorded At – Belmont Mall Studio
- Mastered At – Capitol Mastering
- Accordion – John Cascella (tracks: D1 to D3)
- Art Direction – Corsillo/Manzone, Design Monsters
- Backing Vocals – Crystal Taliefero (tracks: D1, D3), Larry Crane (tracks: A3, A4, B2, B3, C3), Mike Wanchic (tracks: A3 to D3), Pat Peterson (tracks: D1 to D3), Toby Myers (tracks: B1, B2, C2, D2 to D4)
- Bass – Toby Myers (tracks: B1, B3 to D4)
- Drums – Kenny Aronoff (tracks: A3 to D3)
- Engineer – David Leonard (tracks: D1 to D3), Greg Edward (tracks: B1, B3 to C3)
- Guitar – Larry Crane (tracks: A1 to D3), Mike Wanchic (tracks: A2 to D3)
- Keyboards – John Cascella (tracks: C2 to D3)
- Lacquer Cut By – IS*
- Liner Notes – Timothy White (2)
- Management – Hoffman Entertainment, Inc.
- Photography By – Paul Jasmin
- Producer – John Mellencamp* (tracks: A3 to B1, D1 to D4), Little Bastard (tracks: B2 to C3)
- Producer, Engineer – Don Gehman (tracks: A3 to D3)
- Violin – Lisa Germano (tracks: D1 to D3)
- Written-By – John Mellencamp* (tracks: A1 to D3)
Includes insert containing credits and liner notes.