Neil Young / International Harvesters - A Treasure - New Vinyl 2011 Reprise Records 180Gram 2 Lp Pressing with Gatefold Sleeve and Etched D-Side - Folk Rock
Street Date: 6/14/11
The 12-track live album, A Treasure includes songs - 5 of which are previously unreleased -- recorded during Young's 1984 and 1985 U.S. tours without the support of an album or Young's then record label due to unique and unusual circumstances. Among those, "Grey Riders" will be the first track serviced to radio. A Treasure features Young's onstage work with some of the greatest artists in the history of country music, including the late, great Ben Keith on steel and slide guitar and Rufus Thibodeaux on fiddle, along with living legends Spooner Oldham and Hargus "Pig" Robbins on piano, Tim Drummond and Joe Allen on bass, Anthony Crawford on mandolin & guitars and Karl Himmel on drums, among many others. A Treasure is Young's first release since last year's Grammy and Juno Award-winning album, Le Noise.
The live album captures this iconic artist during a fascinating time in his career, when he was facing criticism and lawsuits from his then current record company for exploring a more traditionally country sound. "You can call me erratic," Young said when asked at the time about his tendency toward musical shape-shifting, "but I've been consistent about it, consistently erratic." Always celebrated for his musical versatility, A Treasure, is akin to a sonic time capsule, instantly transporting the listener to the time and place when it was made. "I love this record," Young says. "I hadn't heard these takes in 25 years, but when we unearthed them co-producer Ben Keith said, ‘This is a treasure.'"
Part of what makes A Treasure so compelling is the musical contributions of The International Harvesters, with whom Young was playing at the time. Many of them were already paragons within the country music world and their notoriety has only grown in the years since. "I just love to hear those guys," Young says. "They're all country music legends." Those behind the scenes also made significant contributions to A Treasure's sonic potency. Tim Mulligan mixed and mastered the tracks. At the time these songs were recorded, Bob Sterne was the tour manager, Tim Foster ran the stage, and Larry Cragg was in charge of the band's instruments.
|A2||Are You Ready For The Country?|
|A3||It Might Have Been|
|A4||Bound For Glory|
|A5||Let Your Fingers Do The Walking|
|B1||Flying On The Ground Is Wrong|
|B3||Soul Of A Woman|
|B4||Get Back To The Country|
|C2||Nothing Is Perfect|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Silver Bow Productions, Inc.
- Copyright (c) – Silver Bow Productions, Inc.
- Engineered At – His Master's Wheels
- Mastered At – Bernie Grundman Mastering
- Mastered At – Redwood Digital
- Published By – Silver Fiddle Music
- Published By – Broken Arrow Music
- Published By – Unichappell Music, Inc.
- Pressed By – Pallas – 22633
- Pressed By – Pallas – 22634
- Manufactured By – Pallas USA
- Record Company – Warner Music Group
- Designed At – R. Twerk & Co.
- Art Direction, Design [For R. Twerk & Co] – Jenice Heo
- Art Direction, Design [For R. Twerk & Co] – Gary Burden
- Bass – Tim Drummond
- Drums – Karl T. Himmel
- Fiddle – Rufus Thibodeaux
- Guitar, Banjo, Vocals – Anthony Crawford
- Guitar, Vocals – Neil Young
- Lacquer Cut By – Chris Bellman
- Management – Lookout Management
- Management [Direction] – Elliot Roberts
- Mastered By [Digital] – Tim Mulligan
- Painting [Cover Art, Nomad Productions] – Ron Farnsworth
- Pedal Steel Guitar, Slide Guitar [Lap], Synth [Stringman], Vocals – Ben "Long Grain" Keith
- Photography By [Inside Panel] – Joel Bernstein
- Photography By [International Harvester Scenic Backdrop] – Hannah Johnson
- Piano – Spooner Oldham
- Producer – Ben Keith, Neil Young
- Recorded By, Mixed By – Tim Mulligan (tracks: A2, A4 to C3)
- Research [Nya] – Joel Bernstein, John Nowland
- Transferred By [Digital to Analog @ His Master's Wheels] – John Nowland
- Written-By – Neil Young (tracks: A1, A2, A4 to C3)
2-LP Set, 3 Sides of music and an art etching on side 4
Includes Card To Download Digital Version Of Album
Recorded during Young's 1984 U.S. Tour
Includes six previously unreleased tracks